Vienna Department of Planning and Zoning
|This article is a stub. You can help fairfaxpedia by expanding it.|
The Department of Planning and Zoning’s mission is to:
“Provide the highest level of short and long-term planning, zoning and code enforcement services to the Town of Vienna to ensure that it remains attractive, safe, clean and the premier community in Northern Virginia.”
Architectural Design Control
“Architectural Design and Control” is Chapter 4 of the Town Code, and outlines rules for building design to prevent the construction of “bizarre, garish or otherwise inappropriate” exteriors. 
Refuse, Garbage and Weeds
“Subdivisions,” Chapter 17 of the Town Code, lays out regulations for the planning of subdivisions, specfically plot design, street sizes, and easements. 
Chapter 18 and attachments place restrictions on how certain areas in Vienna are used in an effort to avoid overpopulation and to ensure sufficient light, safety, and “ample parking facilities” (Chapter 18 and attachments. 
The Department of Planning and Zoning:
- Enforces and resolves any violations of the Town Code, which includes issuing zoning citations;
- Prepares the Comprehensive Plan and amendments to the subdivision and zoning ordinance;
- Supervises the administration of development activity;
- Oversees special projects such as grant applications;
- Consults with the Town Attorney to ensure compliance with the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act regulations;
- Works with Federal, Commonwealth, regional, and local planning agencies;
- Provides Vienna with Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping services.
The Department also supplies the following boards and committees with technical and staff support:
- Board of Architectural Appeals
- Board of Zoning Appeals
- Planning Commission
- Town/Business Liaison Committee
- Vienna Town Council
- Windover Heights Board of Review
Director of Planning and Zoning
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "”Planning and Zoning”". viennava.gov. http://www.viennava.gov/index.aspx?nid=138. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Town of Vienna (1 July 2011). "“Department of Planning and Zoning”". Fiscal Year 2011-2012 Adopted Budget. https://www.google.com/search?q=vienna+va+department+of+planning+and+zoning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- ↑ Town of Vienna. "“Architectural Design Control.”". Vienna Town Code. pp. 4-1. http://www.viennava.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=151. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- ↑ Town of Vienna. "“Refuse, Garbage and Weeds.”". Vienna Town Code. pp. 13-1. http://www.viennava.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=161. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- ↑ Town of Vienna. "“Subdivisions.”". Vienna Town Code. pp. 17-6. http://www.viennava.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=166. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- ↑ Town of Vienna. "“Zoning.”". Vienna Town Code. pp. 18-5. http://www.viennava.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=168. Retrieved 23 February 2012.